1. Do I have to be offered admission to Georgia Tech before I can apply to the GT SMaRT program? Yes, please complete an application for admission to Georgia Tech at http://www.admission.gatech.edu/ .
2. Is the SMaRT Living Learning Community a part of the GT Freshmen Experience Residence Halls? Yes, the SMaRT program is a part of the GT Freshmen Experience program. Folk Residence Hall (on GT West campus) will be used in 2018-2019 for the SMaRT LLC. For additional information on GT residence life (e.g. view of the room, building, description of Freshmen Experience, etc), please see www.housing.gatech.edu .
3. My friend has been admitted to Georgia Tech, but he/she is not a science or math major. Can we still be roommates in the SMaRT Living Learning Community? Your roommate can most definitely apply to the SMaRT program. First priority does extend to Science and Math majors, but non majors will be considered. Participants will have an opportunity to identify potential roommates from the community list in early May. Being a part of the SMaRT LLC is a great way to expand your network of friends, especially with persons with similar interests and goals.
4. I was admitted to GT in as a nonscience or math major, but I will be changing my major to a science or math undegraduate degree program. Can I still apply for the LLC? Yes, you are welcome to apply for the SMaRT Living Learning Community.
5. What are the typical class sizes for SMaRT students? For GT 1000, ENGL, and MATH, SMaRT sections typically smaller than regular sections since seats are prioritized for SMaRT LLC participants. For CHEM and BIOL courses, SMaRT students may attend a traditional lecture with nonSMaRT students, however, the SMaRT lab and recitation sections are typically smaller than regular sections due to restricted registration for SMaRT participants.
6. Can I apply to SMaRT as well as other prestigious GT LLC programs? Yes. The application for Living Learning Communities will ask you to prioritize which ones you are interested. If admitted to more than one GT LLC program, you will need to select the LLC that best fits your interests and goals. The SMaRT LLC is designed for students seeking to participate in research in science or mathematics with the possibility of a career in research.
7. Does the GT SMaRT LLC cost more than a traditional Freshmen Experience Residence Hall? For Fall 2018, the SMaRT LLC will have a base cost equivalent to Freshmen Program Experience Residence Halls on campus plus a $400 program fee per semester (i.e. fall 2018 and spring 2019) to cover professional development, social activities, excursions associated with the program. For housing rates, please see http://housing.gatech.edu/rates/Pages/default.aspx (Folk Hall is a Freshmen Experience Buildings with traditional rooms). Since SMaRT is also a part of Freshmen Experience (FE) residence life, here is more information on the FE program at Tech: http://housing.gatech.edu/reslife/FE/Pages/default.aspx, .
8. Are awards available for SMaRT participants? Yes, a limited number of merit-based awards are available for participants interested in performing research. Scholars must be pursuing a B.S. degree in the College of Sciences.
9. How can I participate in SMaRT activities beyond the first year? Is there a program fee beyond the first year? Can I live outside of the SMaRT LLC after my first year? Yes, non-first year students will be invited to serve as mentors and participate in SMaRT program. SMaRT mentors are encouraged to live in apartment-style housing close to the first year LLC residence halls (unless selected to be a residence hall peer-leader). No program fee is required for SMaRT mentors.
10. I have applied to the living learning community. What should I expect next? A decision regarding applications is typically made within 7-10 days via email. The applicant may be invited to participate, put on the waitlist, or declined. If invited to participate, the applicant should respond to the invitation by the stated deadline.
11. I have accepted the invitation to participate in the living learning community. Should I complete a GT housing application? Yes, please be sure to let GT know by May 1 that you plan to enroll. You should also complete a GT application for housing and pay the housing deposit. For information on accepting the GT offering and housing, please see: http://admitted.gatech.edu/accept
12. How do I specify the LLC on the GT housing application? How do I find a roommate from within the LLC? After May 1, we will be matching the list of students who have elected to be a part of the SMaRT of SHaRP LLC with the GT Housing application list. GT Housing will send your housing assignment information in early/mid June. Lastly, we will be sharing information in early/mid May about how SMaRT and SHaRP participants can identify possible roommates within the living learning community.
13. Who may I contact regarding additional questions about the SMaRT LLC and scholarship program? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org .